Sunday 17 March 2013

Natural Nail Polish Remover Challenge: Priti NYC vs Suncoat

                 

In this corner, weighing in at 2 oz., it's Priti NYC's Soy Polish Remover!


From the Label

Description: This earth friendly product is naturally derived from crops and does not contain any petroleum ingredients. Readily biodegradability - it is non-toxic, contains no carcinogens and can be used with all brands of nail polish. Our soy nail polish remover will not dry out nails or nail bed due to the organic lemongrass oil it contains.
Suggested Use: Saturate cotton with remover, place on nail for a minute and gently rub - using a sweeping motion - polish off. 

Ingredients: Natural soybean esters, biodegradable dibasic esters, organic lemongrass essential oil

My Experience


Scent: a light, unoffensive citrus scent.

Ease of Use: I find it can be a bit time consuming to have to wait a minute for each nail and usually end up only leaving the cotton on for half the recommended time. Though in all honesty, with a little extra scrubbing, this works just fine. Other than my impatience, the remover was straight forward enough.

Availability: Priti NYC is available in select stores, though I've yet to come across them locally and have had to order online as a result.

Price: This product normally sells for $11.25, though it's currently on sale for $9.99. Sale or no sale, I'd say this is pretty reasonably priced for a natural, non-toxic polish remover that works.

Effectiveness: Even with my little time cheat, this remover was able to take off the vast majority of the polish I'd been wearing with little hassle. 


My right hand after one round with Priti NYC's Soy Polish Remover

In this corner, weighing in at 1 oz., it's Suncoat's All Natural Nail Polish Remover Gel!




From the Label

Description: This gentle gel is earth-friendly, nontoxic, nondrying to the nails. Free of alcohol, acetone, acetates. Removes all types of polish. Easy squeeze tube is ideal for home use, great for travel.

Suggested Use: Squeeze a dab of gel onto each nail. Spread around nail surface with a tissue or cotton ball. Leave on for two minutes. Rub off. Wash hands with soap and water. Repeat as necessary.

Ingredients: Ethyl lactate, methyl soyate, glycerin, silica, vitamin A, Biotin

My Experience


Scent: Though this remover claims to be unscented, there is a very strong plastic-y smell that actually gave me a headache after working on one hand, and I'm not typically scent-sensitive. 

Ease of Use: The gel is fun to use, though I find that, when spreading it across my nails with a tissue as directed, I end up inadvertently removing most of it. I also find you need a lot of gel per nail to have it do anything, which means you go through the bottle very quickly.

Availability: I found this remover at Whole Foods, and have seen the Suncoat brand at a number of health food stores.

Price: I picked this up for a little over $8.00, which I'd say is in the reasonable range.

Effectiveness: Oh goodness, I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn the remainder of this portion over to be written by Negative Nellie. I wanted this to work, truly I did. But alas, it was not to be. The first round of gel-applying, waiting, and removing left me with all but a bit of the top coat of my nail polish still in tact. And I waited the full duration for this one! The second round left my nails splotchy. Finally, the third try left me with nearly naked nails, though there was still enough polish around the edges to leave me sighing.

My left hand after three rounds with Suncoat's All Natural Nail Polish Remover Gel

And the winner is...

This challenge has a clear-cut winner for me. Priti NYC's remover is effective and, unlike its competitor, is not offensive smelling. While it may be a touch more expensive than Suncoat's version, I'd say it's definitely worth the extra few dollars for a nail polish remover that will leave your nails, health, and nose happy.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comparison. I was just about to buy some Suncoat gel, now I won't.
    My favorite remover is Fresh Therapies but I could only find it in Australia.
    Off to look for the Priti NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have helped! Hope you enjoy the Priti NYC remover. It smells divine!

      Delete